As promised in yesterday’s edition of “,” here is my version of La Provence’s Eggs Provençal. The prep vs. outcome for this dish is exceedingly low: just 10-15 minutes of mild effort will reward you with a Pinterest-worthy plate.
Serve with roasted sweet potatoes, hash browns, or as I have here, Garlic-Almond Spaghetti Squash. (Recipe coming this Friday!)
- 2 eggs, poached
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 thick slices of ripe tomato
- ½ oz grated cheese (I use a mixture of Parmesan & mozzarella)
- Paprika, salt & pepper, as desired
- Fresh basil
- Prepare poached eggs.
- Move oven rack to highest position. Preheat oven broiler.
- Put tomato slices on lined baking sheet and broil for 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Turn tomato slices over and spread 1 tablespoon pesto over each slice.
- Return tomato slices to oven and broil for 2 minutes.
- Remove tomato slices from oven.
- Top each slice with 1 poached egg and sprinkle with grated cheese. Sprinkle lightly with paprika and season as desired.
- Pop under broiler for 30 seconds to melt cheese.
- Garnish with fresh basil.