Ring in the New year with a Blushin’ Russian Soda – a sweet, refreshing cranberry and ginger infused libation that everyone can enjoy!
We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day. – Edith Lovejoy Pierce
How will you be ringing in the New Year? This Blushin’ Russian – a beautiful, delicious twist on a traditional Italian Soda – is a great option for imbibers and teetotalers alike.
- 6 oz Cranberry Ginger Ale**
- 1½ oz Spiced Simple Syrup
- 1½ oz half-and-half***
- 1½ oz vodka [optional]
- Fill a tall glass with ice. Pour cranberry ginger ale and simple syrup into glass. If you are using vodka, add it also. Stir gently, and then pour in half-and-half.
- Garnish with mint leaves and sugared cranberries.
*** You can use heavy cream, but I prefer to use half-and-half for a lighter drink.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3-4 slices fresh ginger
- 4-5 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- 15 whole allspice
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together water, sugar, cinnamon sticks, sliced ginger, star anise, and heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Bring mixture to a boil and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool completely.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove spices from liquid and pour into bottle or jar. Mixture can be refrigerated for at least two weeks.