If Freshalicious was a real word, and that word was in a real dictionary (Urban Dictionary does not count), this image of these fresh strawberry crepes would be the picture they would use to illustrate it.
Despite all its fancy accented letters and elegant French pedigree, Fresh Strawberry Crème Crêpes present only one significant culinary challenge: trying to not eat all the fresh strawberry crème before you assemble the crêpes.
Sweet Vanilla Crêpes with Fresh Strawberry Crème
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup hulled and sliced strawberries
Sweet Vanilla Crêpes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 tsp. vanilla (I probably use more)
- 1 1/2 cups flour sifted
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 pints Strawberries hulled and sliced
To make Strawberry Crème:
- Puree the strawberries in a blender with about 1/4 cup heavy cream.
- With an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1 3/4 cups heavy cream until it begins to form soft peaks.
- Mix in the sugar until stiff peaks begin to form, then mix in the pureed strawberries.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to assemble crêpes.
Sweet Vanilla Crêpes
- Put all the ingredients - the milk, eggs, vanilla, flour, sugar, salt and melted butter - in a blender and blend until smooth. If you have a crêpe pan, Cool! Use it!!
For the rest of us non-crêpe-pan-owners, use this method:
- Heat an 8 or 9 inch non-stick sauté pan over medium-low heat. It is important to find the right temperature for crêpes. They are not supposed to be all brown and crispy. Start your pan on medium low and work from there.
- Spray pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup crêpe batter into the heated pan. Immediately swirl it around to create a thin flat crepe that reaches just slightly up the sides of the pan.
- The crêpe is ready to flip when the edges look very dry and the middle batter is no longer glossy or wet looking.
- Using a large thin spatula, flip the crepe and cook another 15 seconds.
- If you are making another crêpe, don’t let the pan set on the burner for more than a few seconds or it will get too hot.
Assembling the Crêpes
- Fill crêpes with strawberry crème and strawberries, fold and garnish with same.