Inspired by the cuisine of Armenia, this Eggplant & Carrot Salad combines simple ingredients to create a supremely satisfying salad. Perfect for everything from a light spring lunch to an autumn potluck.
This post may contain affiliate links, but don’t worry – they won’t bite.
Some years ago, my daughter married a charming Armenian who can cook like there is no tomorrow. Over the years since he joined our family, Vahe has introduced me to the foods and culinary traditions of his native country, and one of my favorites is a little rolled vegetable preparation called Armenian Eggplant Rolls. Wrapped in long strips of garlic-infused fried eggplant, these are delicious little carrot-stuffed beauties hit all the best savory buttons, with just the right amount of sweet undertones.
As much as I love Eggplant Rolls though, I’m not a fan of making them. The original recipe is heavy on oil (eggplants are real sponges when you fry them!), and somewhat labor intensive.
Instead, I created this Eggplant & Carrot Salad – a simple alternative that tastes great, cuts the fat to almost nothing, and is very easy to make.
While the end result isn’t quite as pretty as the little beauties my daughter makes, Eggplant & Carrot Salad does make a good presentation – vibrant, colorful and delicious, and perfect for everything from a light spring lunch to an autumn potluck.
Armenian-style Eggplant & Carrot Salad
- 4 cups grated carrots about 1 pound
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame optional - I add these to the mix because I like the extra crunch.
- 1/3 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup light Sour Cream
- About 3/4 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1 large eggplant roasted, cooled and chopped into 1/2 cubes
- Mix together all of the ingredients except eggplant, using only enough sour cream to moisten the mixture. Gently fold in chopped roasted eggplant.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. I usually make this a day ahead of time, and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, garnish with additional chopped cilantro.
We love carrot salads! Here’s a few of our favorite carrot salad recipes:
- Kale & Carrot Salad
- Moroccan Carrot Salad with Harissa, Feta & Fresh Herbs
- Grammi’s Carrot Pineapple Jello Salad (Sunshine Salad)
Be sure to try our Carrot Ginger Salad Dressing recipe, too!
Armenian-style Eggplant & Carrot Salad • Mostly savory, slightly sweet, and totally De-lish!