Slow Cooker Enchilada Sauce
A mild enchilada sauce with a smoky, slightly sweet finish. You will never use canned sauce again.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 1 14-ounce can
- 1 14- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 12- ounce can tomato paste
- 1 8- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoons ground pasilla pepper**
- 2 teaspoons ground New Mexico chili pepper**
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper**
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Heat butter or coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until it turns golden brown. Add minced garlic and saute 30 seconds more.
Put sauteed onion and garlic mixture along with all the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4-6 hours. Sauce is ready to use immediately.
OPTIONAL STEP: If you prefer your enchilada sauce smooth, simply use an immersion blender to puree it right in the slow cooker. (You can also just pour everything into a stand blender.)
**Substitution: Omit all 3 dried ground peppers, and add 2 tablespoons of regular chili powder. The flavor will be slightly less complex, but delicious just the same.
*This recipe freezes well, but it can also be canned in a pressure canner. Use 10 lbs. for 50 minutes for pints and 60 minutes for quarts.