I almost bought some poppy seed salad dressing this week. I love it, and I was already at the store and feeling lazy, so I thought, why not? Well, I’ll tell you why not… Have you read the labels lately!? Too much sugar, too much fat, and definitely too much weird stuff.
Oh… No… you missed that on the label? I don’t blame you; you’re probably your like me – stuck back there on the nutritional table reading up on the calorie and fat counts. Whohoo!
Or maybe you’re just experiencing sticker shock: the average bottle of poppy seed salad dressing at my local Winco costs between three and four dollars. For a 12 ounces. A cup and a half. And the good stuff – that’s even more!of Brianna’s Poppy Seed Dressing (admittedly delicious) sells for a whopping $7.70 a bottle on Amazon!!!! That is almost 65 cents an ounce: the same price as mid-range, high quality cheese. O.M.G. (And I can tell you, if I have to choose between a bottle of salad dressing and a 12 ounces of good cheese, the cheese will win, every time!!)
In just five minutes, I can make a cup and a half of the same salad dressing at home for about fifty cents. FIFTY Cents! That’s just over 4 cents an ounce. Crazy. I am never buying salad dressing again. (OK, you’re right – “Never” is a big word… I tell my kids that all the time. But I am sure gonna do my darnedest not to.)
[End of Rant.]
Here’s my favorite poppy seed dressing recipe – low in fat, high in flavor, with just the right balance of tart and sweet.
Did I mention it takes just five minutes to make?
Poppy Seed Salad DressingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt I use Nancy's Plain Nonfat
- 1/2 cup Light Miracle Whip I don't like the Fat Free - it tastes weird.
- 1/4 cup white sugar If I'm making this to use on fruit, I use 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 Tbls onion coarsely chopped (Mince if you are mixing this by hand.)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Tbls poppy seeds
- Combine all ingredients except poppy seeds in a blender and blend until smooth. Add poppy seeds and pulse to combine.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow the dressing to thicken.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
More Delicious Homemade Salad Dressings from GHW
Making your own salad dressing is fast, easy, economical; and best of all, you’ll be able to identify and pronounce all the ingredients!
- Piña Colada Salad Dressing
- Original Taco House Fiesta Dressing (Taco Salad Dressing)
- Authentic Thousand Island Dressing