On a long, hot summer evening, nothing beats an ice cold slice of watermelon – seeds and all! We've collected the best watermelon recipes for all your summer celebrations; including kid-friendly beverages, adult beverages, frozen treats, soup, salad, salsa, appetizers, and even watermelon steak!
Before we get to the recipes, here’s a little watermelon fun.
7 Surprising Facts about Watermelons
- Watermelon is a trailing vine, highly cultivated all over the world, with more than 1,000 identified varieties, 300 of which are cultivated in North and South America.
- Watermelon is only loosely considered a melon by botanists: it is actually a pepo. A pepo is a berry with a thick rind and a fleshy center.
- In the wild, watermelons grow to only about eight inches across, while cultivated plants can grow melons as big as 24 inches. The heaviest watermelon on record weighed 262 pounds [The Guinness Book of World Records].
- Watermelon seeds thought to be 5000 years old were discovered at a prehistoric archaeological site in southwestern Libya.
- In 1776, the first cookbook - American Cookery - was published in the U.S., and contained a recipe for watermelon rind pickles.
- Farmers in Japan use forms to grow watermelons in all kinds of different shapes: cubes, pyramids, hearts, and even human faces.
- In the United States, we celebrate National Watermelon Day on August 3rd. Watermelon Day is also celebrated in Japan, on July 27th.
Choosing a ripe, sweet watermelon can be tricky. Be sure to check out our seven proven tips for picking out a perfect watermelon!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, including Amazon affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details.