Wonton Egg Drop Soup is so easy to make that I’m almost embarrassed to list it as a “recipe,” but I have to share it with you because it is just so tasty! Perfect for busy weekday evenings, it is savory and satisfying – just the ticket for the cold winter nights coming up.
I like to season my soup with a little sweet chili sauce, while Mr. B prefers a healthy dash of Sriracha with his.
- 4 cups Aneto Chicken Broth (or other full-bodied broth*)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- About 30 frozen wontons (See note below)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Whisk eggs together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth, soy sauce and sesame oil to boil.
- Add frozen wontons one at a time, until all are in the pot and the liquid has returned to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cooked until the wontons are done, 2-5 minutes.
- While stirring slowly, add beaten eggs to hot liquid in a thin stream. Eggs will cook on contact.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, season with Sriracha or Sweet Chili Sauce as desired, and serve.
*The more flavorful your broth, the better your soup will be. I use exclusively either homemade broth or Aneto's. That cheap stuff in the cans is barely more than water.
Note: While you can make Wonton Egg Drop Soup with any frozen (or fresh, if you have time) wontons, I thought I’d mention what I used. As you may know, I don’t use a lot of commercially prepared frozen food; moreover, it doesn’t fit the home-cooked theme of my blog. However, like you, I live in the real world, where sometimes there just isn’t time to whip something up from scratch. In those cases, I try to find healthy alternatives that I can still feel good about serving to my family, so when I found these little babies at Costco awhile back, I knew I had to give them a try. Made with all natural ingredients and no trans fats, Chicken & Cilantro Mini Wontons (from CJ Foods, a U.S. subsidiary of Korea’s CJ Corp) are flavorful little purses that cook up in no time.
Vegetarians: Use vegetable broth and vegetarian wontons. Way too easy. 🙂