Carbonara means Charcoal Burner in Italian – I looked it up. Surprised? Me too. Because for the longest time, I thought it meant “bacon,” because it’s nearly impossible to find a recipe for Carbonara that doesn’t include bacon, or its fancy cousin, pancetta. Which is too bad, because Sun-dried Tomato Carbonara is delicious – with or without bacon – and super-duper easy to throw together. AND it can be ready in as little as 10 minutes. YES!! You read that right – 10 minutes, pot-to-plate! So you could actually have a decent meal on Soccer Practice nights. Really!
Sun-dried Tomato Carbonara
- 6 oz. angel hair pasta you can use fettuccine or spaghetti, but angel hair is our favorite, plus it cooks in no time!
- ? cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil drained (put the oil back in the jar to use later!)
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup milk for a richer presentation, you can use cream, but I never have it – and milk works
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese. divided
- A small handful of Fresh basil leaves 10-15 leaves
- Freshly ground pepper and kosher salt
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Optional: bacon bits either real or vegetarian for those who want to sprinkle them on top.
Cook the pasta according to directions until just tender. (al dente)
While the pasta is cooking, chop the sun-dried tomatoes into small pieces.
Chiffonade the basil.
Whisk eggs, milk or cream, half of the Parmesan and seasonings in a small bowl.
This last part happens very quickly, so Be Prepared!! When the pasta is done, drain it thoroughly and immediately put it back into the pan over very low heat. Drizzle the egg mixture quickly into the hot pasta, tossing it all constantly with tongs as you do. You want the eggs to set, but not curdle or get all chunky. (It’s OK if this happens though – it still tastes just fine.) Throw in the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, most of the basil and the remaining Parmesan and continue tossing until the mixture thickens and the eggs have set. Garnish with additional freshly ground pepper and fresh basil.
This is not a fancy-smancy Pasta Carbonara recipe – it is a fast, easy family-friendly weeknight go-to. Enjoy!