Made with a delicious homebrewed ginger syrup and finished with fresh mint and a lime wedge, our Whiskey Ginger elevates this classic warm-weather cocktail to a whole new level.
My sweetheart Mr. B is pretty handy around the kitchen and an excellent cook in his own right: he’s always been very supportive of me and the work I do here on the blog. However, I didn’t know he had any interest in contributing himself until last winter when he made our holiday scalloped potatoes. As he took them out of the oven – perfect and golden and smelling like heaven – he asked if I would like him to write down the recipe. He even had me take pictures of them… “you know, for our blog.”
“Our blog“… Hmmm. I sensed the tide was changing. Then this spring, when we got an invitation to attend the opening of a new steak house here in Portland, he helped me write up the review. As we sorted images and recalled the details of the evening, he commented, “I’m really liking this blogging thing.” That may have just been the Brazilian barbecue talking, but whatever it was, he’s hooked now.
With that in mind, and with Father’s Day just around the corner, it seems like the perfect time to launch a new feature here on The Good Hearted Woman – a little corner of the blog where Mr. B can occasionally share his grilling and mixology skills and flex his culinary muscles.
So, without further ado, welcome to the first installment of “Mr B’s Man Cave.”
Hi everyone! This is my first blog post, and I’m keeping it short and sweet. When Renée made her Homemade Ginger Syrup for the first time awhile back, I immediately thought of how great it would be in a Whiskey Ginger, and WOW was I right! Enjoy!
(For all our non-drinking friends out there, this recipe includes a non-alcoholic option)
Whiskey Ginger with Lime
- 2-3 Tbs Homemade Ginger Syrup
- 2-3 Tbs Whiskey*
- 3-4 ounces club soda or seltzer water
- 1 small lime wedge
- 1 mint leaf
- Fill a tumble (or other “short glass”) three-quarters full with cubed ice. Over the ice, pour 3 tablespoons of ginger syrup, 4 ounces club soda, and a shot of whiskey. Rub the glass rim with a lime slice, and garnish with lime and a mint leaf. Adjust amounts to be as strong as you like.
- Leave the whiskey out and enjoy a wonderful lime-ginger ale.
Homemade Ginger SyrupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups white sugar
- 1 lb ginger sliced
- Put 3 cups of water and all the sliced ginger in a blender and blend until ginger is chunky smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into a large saucepan. Stir in the remaining 3 cups of water and the sugar, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow the syrup to cool in the pan.
- Line a sieve with two to three layers of cheesecloth and strain syrup. Squeeze the cheesecloth bag tightly to get out all the gingery goodness.
- Pour syrup into containers and refrigerate or freeze.
THANK YOU so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of The Good Hearted Woman. ❤ Be sure to PIN and Print this recipe!