If you have a large family (particularly one with a variety of eating styles) you know how hard it is to find meals that everyone enjoys. Egg & Cheese Rolls consistently comes up in the top five among our kids, and is one of the most requested meals by our older kids when they return home for a visit.
It is also one of the weirdest meals we make.
We were introduced to Egg and Cheese Rolls many years ago when we went to dinner at my kids’ Uncle Lucky and Aunt Brenda’s house. It is an easy, inexpensive meal that comes together in minutes, can be prepared ahead of time, and works great as leftovers. The only hurdle you really need to get over (maybe it’s just me) is buying the Velveeta. (If you can’t bring yourself to do it, give this Homemade Velveeta a try.)
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 lb. Velveeta (try Homemade Velveeta)
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2-4 tablespoons finely chopped olives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 Hard Rolls
- Cut the tops off the hard rolls, leaving a little attached to form a flap on top. Pull out the bread in the center. (I save this and use it for bread crumbs.)
- Peel and chop eggs.
- Cut Velveeta into ¾" cubes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine cubed Velveeta, tomato sauce, chopped olives and minced garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until Velveeta is completely melted.
- Add chopped eggs to Velveeta mixture and stir to combine.
- Fill the cavity of each roll with egg mixture. Wrap each roll in aluminum foil. (I often wrap 3 or 4 together.) Bake rolls in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Rolls may also be refrigerated and served warm or cold.
What is the weirdest meal that your family loves?