These Heirloom Tomato & Grilled Eggplant Stacks are fresh, local, seasonal, and delicious to the last bite.
Aaah, Summertime! Gardens are bursting, Farmers’ Markets are in full swing, and – Glory Be! – tomatoes taste like… tomatoes again. Don’t you just love it!?! This time of year, I aim to create dishes that highlight the bright, fleeting flavors of summer, and these Heirloom Tomato & Grilled Eggplant Stacks are just the ticket. Uncomplicated in every way, they are deeply satisfying, and delicious to the last bite.
Heirloom Tomato & Eggplant StacksPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Peel eggplant (unless yours has a very thin skin).
- Slice into 1/2-inch rounds. You will need two large or four small rounds per stack.
- Brush eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant rounds over medium-high on barbecue or in grill pan on stove until tender (about 10 minutes) turning once. Allow to cool completely.
- Slice each tomato into four rounds.
- Alternate tomato and eggplant slices, beginning and ending with a tomato slice. If the eggplant slices are too small, just use two for one layer.
- Sprinkle each completed stack with a teaspoon of olive oil and two teaspoons of balsamic vinegar.
- Season each stack with a pinch of kosher salt and a turn of freshly ground pepper.
- Garnish with feta and fresh basil.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.