Made with fresh spices in just minutes, this Homemade Pumpkin Spice Mix is a must-have for fall baking!
This post may contain affiliate links, but don't worry - they won't bite.
The thing is, Pumpkin Spice in those little bottles at the store costs a fortune (relatively speaking), and you never know how long it’s been been sitting on that shelf. What’s more, they never have just the right balance of nutmeg to everything else for me. (I love nutmeg!)
A few years ago, I decided it was time to start making my own homemade Pumpkin Spice, and as it turns out, it's pretty darned easy to make. Plus, the price differential will blow you away!
To put things in perspective, the ingredients for this recipe collectively cost less than 40 cents. By comparison, bottled Pumpkin Pie Spice can run more than twenty times that much, especially if you are buying organic.
To make fresh, homemade Pumpkin Spice, you first need to gather the freshest ingredients you can. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves are easy – buy them whole in the bulk section and grind them yourself. Grinding your own ginger, however, is another thing entirely, so you probably just want to buy pre-ground ginger.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Mix
- Pound cinnamon sticks with a hammer or meat tenderizer to make smaller pieces. In a clean coffee grinder or spice grinder, combine cinnamon stick pieces, whole cloves, whole allspice and grind into powder. Leave it in the grinder and set aside.
- Grate nutmeg on a nutmeg grater or microplane and add to cinnamon spice mix in grinder. Freshly ground nutmeg is much more “lofty” than the kind you buy in the store, and much more aromatic! Measure this. If you like nutmeg, use 2 teaspoons. If you aren’t as much a fan, use only 1 ½ teaspoons.
- Add ground ginger to grinder and give everything a whirl to combine.
- Store mix in tightly sealed jar until ready to use.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
Do you love pumpkin? So do we! Here are a few more of our favorite pumpkin recipes!
- Roasted Stuffed Pumpkin (Makes a perfect vegetarian holiday meal centerpiece!)
- Pumpkin Spice Sourdough Scones (Soooo good!)
- Nana's Old-fashioned Pumpkin Gingerbread
- 10 Best Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipes
THANK YOU so much for being a faithful reader and supporter
of The Good Hearted Woman. ? Be sure to PIN this post!