Only 30 minutes from fridge to table makes this Mediterranean Grilled Vegetable Panzanella a light, flavorful summer weeknight meal.
Until recently, I had never even heard of a panzanella, but then an article in the current issue of Vegetarian Times caught my eye and I knew I had to take the idea out for a spin. I mean, what could be better? Two of my favorite things – Bread and Salad – right there in one fast, easy to fix meal. (In case you too are among the uninitiated, a panzanella is basically a bread salad dressed in a vinaigrette.) For this grilled vegetable panzanella, I went with a Mediterranean theme, but the possibilities are virtually endless.
Mediterranean Grilled Veggie PanzanellaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 or 5 slices of rustic French bread
- 3 medium tomatoes cut in half horizontally
- 1 medium zucchini sliced once end-to-end
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced (1/2" slices)
- 1 medium eggplant sliced (1/2" slices)
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 4-6 cups coarsely chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- Brush French bread slices very lightly with olive oil and grill them over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side. Cut grilled bread into cubes and put them into a large bowl.
- Lightly brush tomato halves, zucchini halves, onion and eggplant slices with olive oil and place on grill. Season with salt and pepper. Grill about 4-5 minutes on each side, until they are slightly charred and barely tender. (Start the tomato halves with their cut sides down - they will retain their juices better that way.) Remove from grill when done and allow to cool slightly.
- Reserve two tomato halves. Cut the rest of the grilled veggies into chunks and put them into the bowl with the bread. Add chopped romaine and toss everything to combine.
- In a small bowl, coarsely chop the reserved tomato and smash the pieces with a fork. Add minced garlic, and whisk in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle vinaigrette over bread mixture. Toss in sliced olives, feta and chopped hard boiled eggs and toss everything thoroughly to combine.