This simple, belly pleasing, stick-to-your ribs White Chicken Chili recipe that will take all of 20 minutes to prepare. Let the slow cooker do all the work!
Depending upon which approach you take to making this White Chicken Chili, it will take you between two and 24 hours to prepare, but your actual hands-on prep time remains constant - about 20 minutes. All five versions listed produce delicious, savory results:
- Slow: 20 hours - recipe as directed: overnight soak, then slow cooker on low.
- Moderate: 18-19 hours - recipe as directed: overnight soak, then slow cooker on high.
- Moderately fast: 10-12 hours - "Fast Soak" beans. (See Fast Soak Instructions at the bottom of the post) Continue with recipe as directed, with slow cooker on low.
- Fast: 5-6 hours - "Fast Soak" beans. Continue with recipe as directed, with slow cooker on high.
- Lightning: 1 ½ - 2 hours - Use canned beans. Continue with recipe as directed. Cook in slow cooker on high for at least one hour.
This post may contain affiliate links, but don't worry - they won't bite.
As written, this White Chicken Chili is relatively mild, but you can spice it up by leaving the seeds in the jalapenos and/or adding more of them to the mix.
How to FAST SOAK beans:
In a medium saucepan, cover the beans with enough water so that it is at least an inch above the top of the beans. Bring the beans to a boil over high heat. Cook for one minute, and then remove from heat. Cover pot and allow beans to soak for one hour. Drain and rise beans before proceeding.
White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound small white beans or 2 - 15oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces can diced green chilis
- 1 whole jalapenos minced (for mild chili, removed seeds)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound shredded chicken
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound cooked shredded chicken
- avocado slices
- lime wedges
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- chopped cilantro
- Soak beans for 4-8 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium high heat. Cook until the onions are translucent and just beginning to turn brown.
- Combine sautéed onions and garlic, soaked beans, and all of the remaining ingredients except the chicken in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours (or high for 4-5 hours), or until the beans are very tender. (Add additional broth or water if necessary.)
- When beans are very tender, use an immersion blender or potato mashed to mash some of the beans up. This will slightly thicken chili. (Don’t overdo it though or you will have bean puree!)
- Add chicken about thirty minutes before the chili is done.
- Serve with toppings on the side: avocado slices, sour cream, lime wedges, tortilla strips, and chopped cilantro are all good choices.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
“To win the people, always cook them some savoury that pleases them.”
THANK YOU for being a faithful reader and supporter
of The Good Hearted Woman. • Please PIN this post!