Roasting squashes first brings out their rich, deep flavors. This creamy roasted butternut soup – my curried spin on Panera’s Autumn Squash Soup – makes a perfect autumn meal.
This recipe started out as a copycat for Panera’s Butternut Squash Soup, but I’m totally addicted to curry, so I bumped up the spices slightly, added a little extra half-and-half and… Boom! A delicious bowl of Autumn flavor, steeped in a soft blanket of smooth curry. (Sorry… you know I get this way sometimes.)
Curried Butternut Squash SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 small butternut squash seeded & cut into large chunks*
- 1 small sugar pie pumpkin or kuri squash seeded & cut into large chunks*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 half-and-half
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- Preheat oven to 450°,
- In a small bowl, mix salt, curry powder, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg.
- Arrange squash chunks on parchment-lined baking tray, flesh side up. Drizzle with olive oil and season with half of the spice mixture. (Set the rest of the spice mix aside for later.)
- Roast seasoned squashes in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until flesh is very tender. Let cool.
- Scoop cooked squash off of skin and into a large blender pitcher. Pour in cider and broth and blend until very smooth. Discard squash skins.
- Pour blended squash mixture into a large, heavy saucepan and heat over medium-low until mixture reaches a low simmer. Add remaining spices, one tablespoon of honey and half-and-half.
- Taste and season, adding more honey if desired.
- Serve warm. Garnish with pepitas - they give it a nice crunch!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of The Good Hearted Woman. ❤ Be sure to Pin and print this recipe!